Monday, March 8, 2010

The Whistle

“…those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.”
(Hebrews 9:15)


In the neighborhood where I grew up, I had anywhere from five to ten friends who at any given moment were ready to roam the neighborhood in search of fun. Whether we were playing baseball, riding bikes or working on our ninja skills, pretty much everyone of us knew that no matter where we were or what we were doing, that when one of our fathers called…it was time to go. My dad had this loud whistle that could be heard for miles, but if I was too far away to hear it, I was too far from home. It seems like all my friends had a father who had a distinct whistle or yell, but whichever they used, it was a clear signal that we best be on our way…you didn’t want to hear it again, unless you were close enough to yell “I’m coming” & yell it loud enough for the calling father to hear…or it could get messy.

Whether or not your earthly father ever called you while you were out playing…you have heard or you will hear your Heavenly Father’s call at some point in your life…you may even be hearing it now. What does He sound like? You know… you know God’s calling as well as I knew my fathers whistle…it’s that longing to fill an empty space in your life, that you’ve desperately tried to fill with everything material, and nothing at all satisfies. It’s that hunger for true peace for your weary mind. You know it & to ignore it would be senseless. When my father whistled, I didn’t worry about what my friends thought, I took off. I knew when he called it was time. 2 Corinthians 6:2 says “Behold, now is ‘THE ACCEPTABLE TIME,’ behold, now is ‘THE DAY OF SALVATION”. Not later, but now.

Hebrews 9:15 tells us that those who are “called may receive the promise of eternal inheritance”…all will be called…but will all listen? In this world there are only two kinds of people, the “whosoever wills”…and the “whosoever won’ts”…make yourself a “whosoever will”… today (John 3:16-18).

Vern

No comments:

"God of This City"