Saturday, November 12, 2011

Vanishing Vern

“He must increase, but I must decrease.”
(John 3:30)






It’s more often than not that I seek God to work in an area of my life, turning that situation “totally” over to Him…& still try to fix it myself. But what can I say, I’m a man…we love to fix things. We want to take care of our problems. It maybe that we don’t think that God is doing this just right or maybe He’s not doing it fast enough for our tastes or whatever the case, we often want something fixed so bad, that we will do all we can to fix it…even if we are making it worse. It’s like standing in quicksand and being told to be still, that help is on its way, but instead of being still we fight trying to get ourselves out & end up speeding up the process of sinking to our death.




I was reading a verse the other day that really stuck out to me because of a tough time that I am in right now. The verse is actually one where John the Baptist is sharing with his disciples that Jesus was the Christ, not himself & went on to say that “He must increase, but I must decrease”, though John was speaking about himself & his ministry & how it was about Jesus not himself, God has brought me back to this verse & said. “Vern”, He calls me Vern too… “Vern please let me handle this situation that I have allowed into your life for a very distinct reason that I know, but have not revealed to you. One that I will be glorified in & not you, it will be for my kingdoms purpose & not the happiness of the little kingdom of Vern. But it will cause you & everyone around you to want to draw near to me…if you would just be still, quiet, humble & allow Me to work.” In other words God said that, “He must increase” & “I must decrease” in the fix-it department.




A. B. Simpson once stated, “If we wholly trust an interest to God, we must keep our hands off it; and He will guard it for us better than him; fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass. Things may seem to be going all wrong, but He knows as well as we; and He will arise in the right moment if we are really trusting Him so fully as to let Him work in His own way and time. There is nothing so masterly as inactivity in some things, and there is nothing so hurtful as restless working, for God has undertaken to work His sovereign will.”









Vern






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good word!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

We hinder God's work by trying to do it for him. We don't always see the good he is working until he is finished. Nice Blog & praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Keep your head up Brother, there is something much greater at the end of the tunnel for you! You're an amazing leader and teacher!

"God of This City"