Thursday, December 18, 2008

Now, You Can Follow the Leader

"Train your child in the way in which you know you should have gone yourself."

I don't have the right to tell my son not to drink…because I did. I don't have the right to tell my son not to do drugs… because I did. I don't have the right to tell my son not to smoke or us tobacco products…because I did. I don't have the right to tell my son that he must make good grades in school…because I didn't. I don't have the right to tell my son that he should be careful what entertainment (T.V., movies, music, etc…) that he places in his mind…because I didn't. I don't have the right to tell my son not to do a lot of things… But I do & I will.
How insane would it be if I didn't warn him & guide him around areas that I knew were dangerous, or unhealthy. It would be like me, making it through a minefield marking it as I go, & then walking back through on the safe path, removing the markers, & a few months later allowing my son to try walking through it with no guidance from me at all. People would think I was a pathetic example of a father…& that would be right.
God is our best example of a great & wonderful father. He knows the right thing to do & tells us that, if we just follow Him we too will walk that right path. Why wouldn't God know how to make it in this world, He created it. He also knows the consequences of sin. He knows what will bring joy to our lives & what will destroy us. In Psalms 32:8-11 He tells us that He will guide us & that "he who trusts in the LORD, loving kindness shall surround him." God loves us & wants the best life for us, I'm not talking materially, the majority of Hollywood demonstrates for us that material things will not bring true joy, but a life with Jesus can & will. I don't say that to sound super spiritual or to try & sell someone a nice "used Jesus", He's not a used car. But I say that because I've experienced a totally different life. A life that is abundant & joyful. One that is upright & enjoyable. One that I want to pass on to my son. Would I be insane to keep this new life from him… as Kool-Aid would say "OH YEA!"
So why would I, Because I didn't do it right & was miserable? Hey, not one person who hasn't accepted Jesus, will do it right. But those of us who have been blessed, need to pass it on.

Vern

No comments:

"God of This City"