Saturday, January 3, 2009

Slow Moses?


"...for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."
(Philippians 2:13)

Each one of us are created by God, with a purpose. He has a plan that he wants you to be involved in, something He wants you to lead, teach, share, work at, love, encourage, sing about, write about, etc… He wants you. But the cool thing is not only does He want you to do it, but He has well equipped you for that job . See where you may be able to use your gift of playing golf for example, to build a bridge to sharing the good news of Jesus, my game of golf would lead them away from God. We are all gifted in different ways to do different things, but God is the one who does those things through us.
There are times when we miss God's true blessings for us, like in the case of Moses. "Moses?" You say. Yes Moses. When God first came to Moses, he told him, " I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."

Moses reply, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" This went on back & forth, check out Exodus 3 & 4 for the whole story, but right now I want you to look at what Moses says toward the end, 

"O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." 

Now listen to God's reply, 

"Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

You would think that at that moment Moses would have jumped to his feet grabbed his staff & flip flops & headed to Pharaoh's hizouse…but that's not what happened, he went on to ask God to send someone else. God was angry with Moses, but granted him someone to speak for him, "Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses and he said, 'What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you. You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him. But take this staff in your hand so you can perform miraculous signs with it." 

I can't help but think, Moses was a great man, but what more could God have done through him if he would have only understood that God would have made him an eloquent speaker. Did he miss some of the blessings that God had in store for him? I don't know, but I do know that God can & will provide you with the means to accomplish His work, if you will only trust Him.

Vern

No comments:

"God of This City"